Saturday, June 13, 2009

Aussie update 1

I've been almost here for a week now so I thought I'd give a little update.

Saturday/Sunday/Monday morning: Said goodbye to my family at the aiport flew from Buffalo-Detroit-LA-Auckland-Melbourne. Altogether it was about 30 hours, yeah, not fun. The flight attendants on the Auckland and Melbourne flights were realllly nice. So I arrived in Melbourne on Monday morning, went through customs, almost left a bad at the airport when I went on the shuttle bus, but the driver was nice enough to let me go get it. I went to my hostel, the walked around the city (very nice by the way) and went to look at flats/houses, aka only one since I got lost

Tuesday: Same thing, walked around the city and went to look at a house. I'm living here now. It's with a guy and a girl who are about 25, they are really nice and friendly. There's a German guy studying at uni here, but I haven't met him yet because he's in Queensland at the moment. I get my own room and it's a little far from the city for me and I don't care much for the house. I'll give it a month, if not, I can get an apartment closer to the city.

Wednesday- walked around some more. Tried Vegemite (very popular here, it's in a jar and is the non alcoholic leftover goo from the beer brewing process). It's the nastiest thing I've ever had in my life and people love it here (well most do anyway). It's illegal in the US, as it should be.

Thursday- moved into the house and did some stuff

Friday- Met Mitch, he's was an exchange student in Switzerland and he became my first friend here. We walked around the city and had me try Oporto's. It's kind of like a fast food restaurant, it's really good actually. We bought some booze (chocolate vodka and cappucino vodka) The guy let us try it and he didn't even ask for ID, yay. Yeah, I got sick off the chocolate one, barely wanted to eat anything the next day, it tasted good when I tried it though. Then we went out to a gay club. It was a lot of fun, even though they played old Aussie techno, really wanted some songs I'm used to. The night consited of guys telling me I'm hot, some guy dancing all over me on the dance floor, and practically getting raped by the 'omfg' girl. Yeah, a lot of strange things happened last night, but it was fun

Saturday- a little hungover, mostly hung out with my roomates and watched the footie and saladfingers on youtube (if you're in the mood for getting creeped out, then watch it)

Food- the food is really good here (except vegemite). There are heaps of Asians here so there are a lot of Asian restaurants, yay.

Money- things are more or less the same I think, maybe a little more expensive here

Aussies- they really are a very nice and friendly group of people. Kind of crazy, but that's good. Really forward and direct too.

Job- I haven't got one yet, that's because I haven't really looked. I'm going to make a resumé soon and go out and see what's up

Weather- it's winter here now so it's cold, I should have brought a jacket like my mom had told me, but I didn't think it would be this cold in Australia, but it'll warm up (hopefully) soon

Animals/nature- no, I haven't seen any koalas, kangaroos, dingos or platypuses yet, they're all in the bush. I wanna see some!

Housing-I like my roomates, but don't care much for the house. When I get a job, I'll look for an apartment closer to the city.

Melbourne- it's a nice city. Cool architecture. Different than I expected (the houses and thought it would be a little more fast paced). In a few months I might go try Sydney out, just to see what another part of Australia's like

Pictures- so far I've only taken like two, I need to take some more of the city and the outback and all the fun animals there when I see them. So be patient :P

Keeping in touch- I've been ok at it. I've got to talk to a few. It's hard though, there's a 14 hour time difference from NY and I don't really have internet on my computer (I have to connect a wire because there's a password for getting a wireless connection and my roomate doesn't know it so she has to call her friend). I really want to call my family, but again, it's hard. I miss you guys and I want to know I haven't forgotten yooooouuu

Homesick- The first time in my life I'm homesick. Sometimes I just sit here and want to cry and think 'why am I here!?'. It's not Australia, it's the fact that I'm living by myself. I wasn't homesick in Sweden so I guess it's because I have to worry about buying/making my own food, doing everything on my own, paying for everything. I know it would be like this if I went to college and dormed. So it's hard for me right now, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Oh I miss my family.

4 comments:

Aquila said...

klart det kommer ordna sig, en vecka är ju ingenting. jag skulle räkna med minst en månad innan man vant sig vid sitt nya liv. och vi glömmer inte dig heller så oroa dig inte =p.

Gatito said...

ja det är sant. Konstigt att jag inte var hemsjuk i sverige men det löser ju sig. Yay! ska skicka vykort snart!

Aquila said...

just ja, tack för det förra vykortet du skickade! jag har inte sett det än eftersom det kom hem till Sverige men de är iaf en kul idé =).

Anonymous said...

Mi amor bello! I`m sorry for you that you`re sooo homesick *hugs Will*. Bring a sexy Asian guy for me, he can be Chinese, Japanese, Korean or... yeah the three of them :P. Te amo!!! Disfruta Australia!!! Kick my ex-boyfriends half indonesian ass >_< jajaja! Bye!!!